As it looks like some of us may be living that #quarantinedlife, we realised that some of you may be wondering what the eff you should do with all this extra indoor-time?!
Well, now that you ask (just pretend like you asked), we have a list of lots of things you can do to occupy yourselves: podcasts, netflix recs, books, articles - you name it, we got it. Below is a good mix of educational bits for us all to scrub up on, as well as some light entertainment - life is all about balance ya know.
So let's dive straight in! Below is a list of things we've recently enjoyed and think you will too:
MOVIES/SERIES recommendations to make you think:
1) Mission Blue (Available on Netflix)
2) Cowspiracy (Available on Netflix)
3) A Plastic Ocean (Available on Netflix)
4) What The Health (Available on Netflix)
5) Forks Over Knives (Available on Netflix)
6) Tiger King - Murder, Mayhem, Madness (Available on Netflix)
7) Earthlings (if you are feeling brave and emotionally stable..)
MOVIES/SERIES recommendations to bring you joy:
Personally, we are staying away from anything virus-related (documentaries, dramas, movies etc) unless it's the news (which is scary enough). So wrap yourselves up in a blanket (and if you're in SG, blast your aircon on 20), get yourself a cup of tea, and snuggle up to these gems:
1) Pete Davidson - Alive From New York (Available on Netflix)
2) Beyonce - Homecoming (Available on Netflix)
3) Fleabag (Available on Amazon Prime)
4) Brittany Runs A Marathon (Available on Amazon Prime)
5) Race Across The World (Available on BBC iPlayer)
6) Love Is Blind (Available on Netflix) and where you'll get to experience Nick Lachey consistently prefacing his name with the word 'obviously'. Which was by a MILE the underdog moment of the series.
BOOKS to make you think:
1) Eating Animals by Jonathan Safran Foer - really interesting read during this time; particularly around animal-borne viruses and our relationship to animals.
2) Born To Run by Christopher McDouggal - if you're a runner, you HAVE to read this book. Even if you're not a runner, you have to read this book. Then grab your running shoes and hit the pavement!
3) Sapiens by Yuval Noah Harari - will make you see the world completely differently
BOOKS to bring you joy:
1) My Sister The Serial Killer by Oyinkan Braithwaite - a real page turner, and if you're anything like me you'll smash through this in a couple of sittings.
2) Where The Crawdads Sing by Delia Owens - a beautiful, romantic book that will make you disappear from this world for a while.
3) Calypso by David Sedaris - hilarious, weird and eccentric essays.
PODCAST EPISODES to make you think:
PODCAST EPISODES to bring you joy:
4) My Dad Wrote A Porno - if you're not on this bandwagon yet, WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN. Start from the beginning immediately.
5) Desert Island Discs - you have the entire archive to choose from. My favourite is listening to episodes from the early 2000s and hearing them discuss 'what an iPod is'.
YOUTUBE/IG VIDEOS to make you think:
1) How To Become A Productivity Master - Matt Davella
2) How I Rediscovered Books (In The Digital Age) - Nathaniel Drew
YOUTUBE/IG VIDEOS to bring you joy
1) Antoni Porowski - IGTV series 'Quar Eye: Cooking Lessons in Quarantine'
Antoni is a cherub and these videos are just glorious. I have watched all of them and I am in love.
2) TheEcoExpats TikTok account... you are welcome.
RECIPES we've been loving
3) One Pot Red Lentil Stew by makingthymeforhealth.com
4) Vegetable tarts by Jamie Oliver
SPOTIFY PLAYLISTS to bring you joy
1) Self Isolation Bangers curated by Andy Knox. Because obvs.
AT-HOME WORKOUTS to bring you joy (joy may be a strong word..)
1) Zanna Van Dijk - easy to follow IG workouts, no equipment
2) Proudlock - he's such a positive sunshiney bean. Really gets you out of bed in the morn!
3) Joe Wicks - also good for kids!
LOCAL SINGAPORE BUSINESSES to support::
1) Thryft - the online second hand book store. Get reading and donating your own books that you no longer need and get involved in the circular book economy!
2) Baker's Bench Bakery, Bukit Pasoh Road
3) Roa Midnight vegan cakes
What have you been enjoying the last couple of. weeks? Let us know over on Instagram or in the comments section below! Happy hibernating xoxo